[Lexicog] cranberry morphemes and unanalyzable but obviously derived forms

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 22 23:51:00 UTC 2004

In the Hopi Dictionary I provided a morphological breakdown of each entry.
In the case of "cranberry" morphemes the solution was fairly
straightforward: indicate what is known and what is unknown. An example is
the Hopi word for the yellow fruits of the trompillo plant, Solanum
elaeagnifolium: atsi-vosi [(?)-seed]. -vosi is clearly the combining form
of poosi 'seed', but atsi- is otherwise only found in atsingawi
'blistercress, Erysimum sp.', a plant with little yellow flowers:
atsi-ngawi [(?)-coil]. atsi- is unrelated to the word for yellow:
sikyàngpu. Sikyàngpu 'yellow' itself has a morpheme I haven't been able to
identify: sikyà-ng-pu [yellow-(?)-RSLT] (where "RSLT" is the resultative,
a common adjectival ending). -ng- occurs in many words, especially color
words, but so far it remains a mystery item.

--Ken

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM