[Lexicog] Shoebox and dictionary printing questions

Susan Gehr sgehr at KARUK.US
Tue Oct 26 16:00:33 UTC 2004

Question #1.

When I go to print the dictionary I'm working on, I want to change
how the scientific names print out.  I don't want them to be italicized and underlined.

The electronic document on MDF says that there is a stylesheet called
MDFDICT.STY that I can alter to change the look of the printed dictionary and and
finderlists.

Now, I don't see that document in the My Shoebox Settings folder, but
then again the electronic document was written back in the days when MDF was a
separate program.

Could this stylesheet have a new name and new properties?  Any
recommendations on how to safely alter it so I get the intended results?

Question #2

I need to change the language encodings for Karuk.  When I originally
set up my language encoding, I simply used the alphabet as written in our practical
spelling system.

a aa ch ee f h i ii k m n oo p r s sh t th u uu v w x y

One of the comments I got when I circulated a few draft copies was
that I needed to change the sort order, as folks did not want the order to be like
this:

itam
itap
itaa

I have tried simply changing the sort order in the Karuk encoding,
but then the interlinearization process did not work at all!  It scared me so
badly that I immediately restored the old sort order and haven't touched it since.

I'm ready to try fixing the sort order again, and was wondering if
anyone had suggestions for me.

Thanks!
Susan Gehr
Karuk Tribe of California