[Lexicog] Bai variant words

Patrick Chew patchew at BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Oct 26 21:47:44 UTC 2004

Bryan (et alia) -

         So, my thoughts on what you've presented so far ...

         Focus on Jianchuan forms instandard form is great... I personally
prefer adding in annotations that show variation, since it allows
non-standard form lookup and correlates is with standard form. This then
allows all Jianchuan-region speakers with variants access to all lexical
items in question as well as reinforces the "standard" while acknowledging
local flavor.

         I personally would add a Dali-based index to cross-reference into
the Jianchuan data, only in that cross-dialectal dictionary use will
probably come about.
         My own experience with Bai speakers has shown me that it takes
people a few minutes to try and figure out what word to look up/for when
their dialect isn't the one the dictionary happens to be based on. Hence,
my preference for including "non-standard" and "cross-dialectal" materials.

         I've had some exposure to working with some Bai data, but not with
Bai directly, so I won't be able to necessarily help with details, but.. if
you've questions, I'd love to take it off-list and discuss things with you.

cheers,
-Patrick

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM