[Lexicog] Digest Number 193

Jimrem at AOL.COM Jimrem at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 4 17:54:49 UTC 2004

My colleague Bruce Pearson and I, working on the Lenape (Delaware Indian
language), have noted that this language, spoken in an egalitarian society, lacks
many honorific terms.  Pearson, who has previously studied Japanese, spoken in
a society that traditionally has been highly stratified, has noted numerous
honorifics.

As an example, the common reply In Lenape to "Wanìshi! (Thank you!)" is
"Yuh!" which means something like "O.K.!"  There is no exact term for "You're
welcome!"

We have also had inquiries about how to say "Welcome!" in the sense of
welcoming someone to your home.  The usual word used is "Tëmike! (Come in!)."  When
speakers have been pressed to say something more like "Welcome!" the usually
have to create a sentence like "Nulelintàm eli paan! (I am glad that you
came!)."

We wonder if other members of this list have equated the lack of honorific
terms in a language they speak or work with to that language being used in a
more egalitarian society?

Jim Rementer

Lenape Language Project
The Delaware Tribe