[Lexicog] Digest Number 193 (Honorifics)

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Sep 6 21:46:27 UTC 2004

I just searched my list of semantic domains for one that dealt with
honorifics. Finding none, I added it. However I find that I know little
about how languages actually handle levels of respect. Having grown up in
Japan, I know that it has an elaborate system. However since I was a small
child when I learned Japanese, I never learned the system. I know that there
are both lexical and morphological choices one must make. There are
different sets of pronouns and particles, and the verb morphology is
affected. English used to distinguish 'thou' (informal) from 'you' (formal).
French still has such a distinction in the second person singular pronoun.
English has some words that are used in formal settings (e.g. 'however' and
'nevertheless' vs 'but'), but this is normally handled under 'register'
rather than 'honorifics'. However I believe that our terms of direct address
(buddy, sir, ma'am, your honor, your majesty) would qualify as honorifics. I
also believe our greetings (hey, hi, hello, pleased to meet you) could
qualify. There are also levels of politeness in requests (can, may, please)
and apologies (sorry, excuse me, I beg your pardon). Can anyone give
examples of (1) pronouns, (2) particles, (3) affixes, (4) terms of direct
address, (5) greetings (6) requests, (7) apologies? Are there other sets of
words that function as honorifics? Is there any literature on the subject?

Ron Moe