[Lexicog] Digest Number 193

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at GBRONLINE.COM
Thu Sep 9 03:09:16 UTC 2004

Perhaps I can comment a bit as it relates to Baxoje-Jiwere (Ioway-Otoe~Missouria), a Siouan language of the Southern plains.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jimrem at aol.com
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 12:54 PM
  Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Digest Number 193

  My colleague Bruce Pearson and I, working on the Lenape (Delaware Indian language), have noted that this language, spoken in an egalitarian society, lacks many honorific terms.
  As an example, the common reply In Lenape to "Wanìshi! (Thank you!)" is "Yuh!" which means something like "O.K.!"  There is no exact term for "You're welcome!"
  I have to wonder if you are not attempting to anticipate a European societal etiquette onto other very different culture(s).  Certainly this adaptation occurrs during cultural contacts; however, I would not anticipate that the full expression and expected European replies to be returned from another culture.  For example, for many tribal communities of the Southern Plains, "Thank You" may be expressed by a simple handshake (a learned non-Native custom), by a simple "Ho!", an embrace, or by quiet tears.  And there is no "Your welcome" afterwards.  If one is extremely grateful, one says:  "Wari'groxi(wi) ke" --  I pray for you (plural).  And again, in another expression -- "We'nawinna(wi) ke" -- you cause me to be grateful;  or again, one would hear:  "Nat?un'hinnadan ke" -- You have pitied me.
  In the early contact days, the English "How do you do?" was met by "Dari'hga (je)" literally -- In what manner is it to you?.  However, this did not replace a more simple acknowledgment of one's presence with a simple "Ho!" or "Raji(wi) ke" -- You have arrived (plural).  Even into modern times with the older generation, they alluded to an earlier time of wagons and horses, by calling out to the just arrived visitors with a "Get down!" "Get off!"  time.

  We have also had inquiries about how to say "Welcome!" in the sense of welcoming someone to your home.  The usual word used is "Tëmike! (Come in!)."  When speakers have been pressed to say something more like "Welcome!" the usually have to create a sentence like "Nulelintàm eli paan! (I am glad that you came!)."

  We wonder if other members of this list have equated the lack of honorific terms in a language they speak or work with to that language being used in a more egalitarian society?
  In terms of honorific terms, the people rely on their system of kinships and how they implied respect and regard within the family structure.  To truly show the greatest respect, one calls an elder: Hintuga/ Hinkuñi  [(my) grandfather/ (my) grandmother].  Also, to use Hinjego/ Hintumi [(my) uncle/ (my) aunt] is to indicate a less formality between two people.  It would be similar to the "Mr. & Mrs/ Ms" in European address.  Someone on a par level would be "Brother/ Sister" and to the younger generation, "Nephew/ Niece/ Grandson/ Granddaughter".
  This is not really separate from the application of these terms to actual relatives, for in this manner, the stranger or acquaintance is placed within the structure of the kinship patterns.  The term "Hintaro" [(my) friend] is equal to that of any other relative, but not in the same sence of the English term. In fact it is of a closer relationship than that of two brothers.  When it is consumated by one's elders at a ceremonial occassion, such as the Iroshka Society Dance, it is referred to when speaking English as "My Indian Friend", to denote its special application and previous responcibilities.  This term developed in the beginning of time, as one clan met another clan people with whom they did not have a previous sanguine relationship.  jgt
  Jim Rementer

  Lenape Language Project
  The Delaware Tribe
  220 NW Virginia Avenue