[Lexicog] RE: Query re keyboard re-mapping

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Tue Sep 21 09:54:29 UTC 2004

On 21/09/2004 00:36, Koontz John E wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Peter Kirk wrote:
>

>>I think it would work if you copy usp10.dll from C:\Program Files\Common
>>Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11 to the same folder as notepad.exe,
>>toolbox.exe or whatever - so that Notepad, Toolbox (not Shoebox as this
>>is a Unicode only feature) etc uses this usp10.dll rather than the older
>>version in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. ...
>>

>OK.  I appreciate the insight into how far things have gotten!  I knew
>Unicode support at some level was getting to be pretty widespread, but I
>was cynical about rendering of base + diacritic sequences.

Just to clarify: base + diacritic sequences can be rendered in any
Windows (95 or later) system, just not very beautifully because there is
no way to fine tune the horizontal and vertical position of diacritics.

>It sounds like the next step is to get other vendors to use the Unicode
>display interface that is (almost, not quite) in the system API.  So
>things are really surprisingly close, for Windows if not, say, Linux.
>Maybe there, too? ...

I am almost certain that Linux is there too with some applications. The
problem with Linux is that the display method is bundled with the
application (as is the new usp10.dll with Office 2003). But probably
applications like OpenOffice on Linux support what you need. And other
vendors are certainly working on these things.

>I'm glad to hear about the progress!  As a practicioner with languages
>whose combinations of accent marks and nasal hooks are never going to make
>it into the precomposed sections of Unicode I am looking forward to this
>more flexible rendering capability eagerly.

Precomposed characters with separate accents will not be added. But if
you are talking about hooks which are actually attached to the
characters, so that the basic character shape is modified, the policy is
now that precomposed forms will be added. So if you can let me know
(probably off-list) what specific requirements you have, we may be able
to put together a proposal. There will need to be evidence of actual
use, probably in printed texts, but this use does not have to be very
extensive.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)