[Lexicog] Unicode rendering under Linux

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Tue Sep 21 15:29:57 UTC 2004

On 21/09/2004 16:04, William J Poser wrote:

>As an exclusive GNU/Linux user (I deleted my only remaining MS Windows
>partition two weeks ago) I can attest that Unicode rendering works fine
>under Linux. OpenOffice Writer, the counterpart of MS Word, handles
>Unicode correctly, as does the specialized Unicode editor Yudit. Unicode
>is also rendered correctly in X terminal windows. At present this is
>program-specific, but there is a project (http://www.pango.org/) to provide
>generalized generalized rendering support.
>
>Bill

I am glad to hear it. But what scripts are you talking about? Pointed
Hebrew works with only the very latest version of Pango, and support for
Syriac, Sinhala and Dzonghka/Tibetan is waiting for the next release.
See
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2004-September/msg00004.html
and
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2004-September/msg00006.html.