[Lexicog] the weather

Damon Allen Davison allolex at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 22 09:46:59 UTC 2004

Dear John,

The lexical differences between British and American Englishes are not
usually a question of one word existing in one variety and not
existing at all in the other.  There is often merely a difference in
relative frequency.  "Autumn" is one such case.  Although it isn't
really the most common term for the season between summer and winter,
Americans also refer to "autumnal" weather.  Some people also say
"fall-like" weather.  Interestingly enough (and although I don't know
what it might mean), if you google "autumnal weather" and "fall-like
weather", you will find that they have similar frequencies.

One other regional difference that has fascinated me for years is this one:

The terms "hurricane" and "typhoon" are regionally specific names for
a strong "tropical cyclone". A tropical cyclone is the generic term
for a non-frontal synoptic scale low-pressure system over tropical or
sub-tropical waters with organized convection (i.e. thunderstorm
activity) and definite cyclonic surface wind circulation (Holland
1993).
(from http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/A1.html)

And this interesting etymological account of "typhoon":
http://www.bartleby.com/61/86/T0448600.html

My impression is that the British talk about weather as a matter of
course.  It appears to be social discourse as opposed to informational
discourse. I'm originally from Southern California, where "having
weather" is always bad; no weather is good weather.

Warm Regards,

Damon

--

Damon Allen Davison