[Lexicog] Unicode rendering under Linux

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Wed Sep 22 14:35:21 UTC 2004

On 22/09/2004 14:42, William J Poser wrote:

>In my previous example, the Devanagari, Tamil, Gurmukhi and IPA all
>show the rendering of "diacritics" in the sense that the first
>three all have vowel markers which are encoded as separate Unicode
>codepoints but must be rendered in combination with the preceding
>consonant, while the IPA has the combining superscript w.
>Anyhow, here are examples of pointed Hebrew. (Its the first verse of
>the Torah for those who can't read it.) I  increased the
>OpenOffice example from 12 point to 16 point so that it would
>show up better in the screen shot, which may have messed it up
>a little. I think it looked better on the screen at 12 point.

Thank you. This looks fine in Yudit (which is not surprising because I
think Yudit was designed primarily for Hebrew). But in OpenOffice most
but not all of the marks below the base characters are offset to the
left from where they should be. Nevertheless, I'm surprised you got such
good results from Code2000.

For comparison, see the attached which is the same verse in Code2000 as
rendered by Windows XP.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)