[Lexicog] RE: Query re keyboard re-mapping

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Thu Sep 23 18:42:48 UTC 2004

On 23/09/2004 17:06, Koontz John E wrote:

>>Is this saying that the Unicode fonts are ready to replace the Siouian fonts
>>that you composed?
>>

>A somewhat specialized query for LexList, but the answer is "Not yet."
>However, it would clearly be desirable to be able to jettison specialized
>solutions in favor of general ones used by everyone.

Why not? I assume we are talking about Latin script.

Are there characters in the Siouian fonts which are not supported by
Unicode? Are there complex combining rules which are not supported by
widely used rendering mechanisms? Are there characters missing from
existing Unicode fonts - even from e.g. Doulos SIL which is supposed to
cover Latin script completely, and Code2000 which is supposed to cover
all of the Unicode basic plane? Unless one of these applies, there is no
good reason not to use the Unicode fonts now, at least in Windows, Linux
and (with the latest applications) Mac OS.

The only problem I see is with accent combinations which are not
precomposed in Unicode. Although these can be rendered properly in
Windows, Microsoft is holding back from a more general release of the
Uniscribe rendering engine (usp10.dll) required to do this properly. I
would think that if suitable pressure is applied by Native American
communities, which I believe are receiving support from the Gates
Foundation, Microsoft just might be persuaded to release more widely the
updated version of Uniscribe.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)