[Lexicog] Re: Proverbs and their cross-cultural equivalents

Chinedu Uchechukwu neduchi at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat Sep 25 10:29:28 UTC 2004

Greetings!
After going through Goerling's German-English collection of
proverbs, I felt like raising something of peculiar interest in
proverbs. This has to do with DOMAIN specific issues in proverb
formation. By this I mean the use of objects peculiar to a
particular domain of human experience in the formation of proverbs.
For example, there are various proverbs in the Igbo language that
have been formed through the use of the DOMAIN of the MENTALLY ILL,
otherwise known as the MAD PERSON. It usually starts with an
expression like: "The mad man says that.....". Here are some
examples:

(1) The man mad was told that his house was on fire. And he replied:
I had already left before it started!

(2) The mad man says that he knows what he is doing, but it is what
is "doing him" that he does not know.

(3) The mad man says that he is not mad and that he knows what he
says. And that the unfortunate problem is that any time he wants to
say one thing another thing comes out of his mouth.

ALthough these proverbs might sound funny, they are earnest
admonitions within their usage culture. It can also be used as a
form of cool insult on a bufon. For example, one can use any one of
the proverbs to interprete the actions of the present President of
Nigeria!

I am interested in knowing if there are some areas where there is
the use of the DOMAIN of a MAD PERSON or any form of MENTAL ILLNESS
to form proverbs (NOT jokes!.

Hoping to learn more.

Chinedu Uchechukwu
Otto-Friedrich Universität