[Lexicog] Toolbox question (was New Member question)

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sat Sep 25 14:57:02 UTC 2004

Ralph,

Welcome to the list. There are many subscribers to this list, including
myself, who use either Shoebox or Toolbox. There are also some
Shoebox/Toolbox experts who can help with technical questions. My own
experience was that Shoebox (same for Toolbox) is very difficult for a
newcomer to begin working with. But I got help from the experts on this list
and now can work with the programs fairly well. Both programs need a setup
Configuration Wizard such as the one which Lexique Pro, a new viewer for
Shoebox/Toolbox data has, to help the newcomer set up the data fields,
sorting order, etc. for the particular language they are working with.

I agree with you that it was be best for your friend to move from entering
data into a flat file (Microsoft Word) into a lexical database program which
can do a lot of things which lexicographers need done to help them as they
develop and edit and output the data.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman