[Lexicog] Re: Proverbs and their cross-cultural equivalents

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sun Sep 26 18:39:20 UTC 2004

Here are a few from German:

Am vielen Lachen erkennt man den Narren =
A fool is known by his/her laughing much.

Kinder und Narren sagen die Wahrheit =
Children and fools tell the truth

Die Liebe macht auch kluge Leute zu Narren =
Love makes fools even out of wise persons

Fritz Goerling

How about the famous quote from Alexander Pope which has achieved
proverbial status: "fools rush in where angels fear to tread"? English, I
think, focusses more on the foolish (those lacking judgment) than on the
mad (those with a cognitive disorder). In Spanish literature, however, the
famous character of Don Quijote is precisely an individual with a
cognitive difference from the rest of us and I bet Spanish is loaded with
sayings related to Don Quijote's madness.

--Ken

--- Chinedu Uchechukwu <neduchi at netscape.net> wrote:

> Greetings!
> After going through Goerling's German-English collection of
> proverbs, I felt like raising something of peculiar interest in
> proverbs. This has to do with DOMAIN specific issues in proverb
> formation.

> I am interested in knowing if there are some areas where there is
> the use of the DOMAIN of a MAD PERSON or any form of MENTAL ILLNESS
> to form proverbs (NOT jokes!.
>
> Hoping to learn more.
>
> Chinedu Uchechukwu
> Otto-Friedrich Universitdt