[Lexicog] Who Said What?

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 28 22:37:40 UTC 2004

This is another good idea. A minor problem with diacritics is where to put
them when they are handled linearly, before or after the character marked?
I remember an enormous misunderstanding several years ago when a linguist
misunderstood some stress marks as marking the following syllable (as in
the IPA) rather than the preceding syllable as was intended in the
original publication. My suggestion is that if anyone wants to use
email-motivated departures from normal graphic representations, one should
simply say so. "In this email I use N to mark the nasalization of the
preceding vowel." "Below, "o (or o", if that's your preference) represents
o with dieresis." No universal solution is being proposed, just the
suggestion that there are simple ways to deal with problems as they may
arise.

--Ken

http://messenger.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM