[Lexicog] nicknames (was: collocations)

Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG
Fri Apr 1 12:41:54 UTC 2005

Dear Fritz,
You might try an electronic dictionary with a filter or a find all
nick-names.
Neal

             "Fritz Goerling"
             <Fritz_Goerling at s
             il.org>                                                    To
                                       <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
             04/01/2005 05:49                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [Lexicog] nicknames (was:
             Please respond to         collocations)
             lexicographylist@
              yahoogroups.com

Can someone recommend a good dictionary of nicknames in the English
language? I do not mean nick-names as shortened forms of proper names
but nicknames as descriptive terms (affectionate, humorous, derogatory,
vitriolic) which answers questions about reasons for sobriquets, where they
come from.

Fritz Goerling

      Fritz asked:
      > Isn't Mc Weirdo an interesting collocation?

      Mac replied:
      I think it's quite nice as a nick as a matter of fact :)

Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM