[Lexicog] Synonymy

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Tue Apr 12 23:27:20 UTC 2005

Synomyns are sprinkled on the foam of my Capuccino.

Seriously, you are right, though I prefer to say that if real synonyms
exist, they are a very rare limiting case. Some do get pretty close,
though I can't think of any at the moment ... Some abbreviations are
pretty close synonyms with their unabbreviated forms, for instance in
the organization I'm with, EC and Executive Committee. The same is less
clearly true, of course of other cases, such as UFO and Unidentified
Flying Object.

--David Tuggy

ps. A little girl I knew, when she was only three or four, invented a
knock-knock joke, in which the punch-line was

Cinnamon, you better repent!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM