[Lexicog] Synonymy

fwgcnews fwgcnews at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 13 17:46:03 UTC 2005

Hello, I'm quite new to the list. I'm a PhD student working on
linguistic ressources (including synonyms lists).

Like Christopher, I used to believe that real synonyms do not exist,
while there's always some "little detail" that differentiates the two
words. It can be geographical or sociological, but I never met any
words that could be used in the same context by the same person
without changing the style or content of the sentence.

Untill a few months ago...

One of my collegue PhD students, Davy Weissenbacher, published a
paper about the synonymic relations in genome studies and how to
detect those synonyms.

I cite from the resume: "Besides a gene canonical name, one can find
various abbreviation forms, typographic variants and synonyms."
Further in the text he gives the example of (in translation) "Hcph
has a minimum of 6 synonymes".

So real synonyms really exist, but maybe not in the way we thought
they did. Maybe they only exist in special languages.

Article cited: Weissenbacher Davy. "La relation de synonymie en
génomique". In Actes RECITAL Fes (Maroc) 19-22 avril 2004, pp. 298-
303.

Frederik Cailliau
SINEQUA – http://www.sinequa.com
LIPN - http://www-lipn.univ-paris13.fr/~cailliau