[Lexicog] an English idiom

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sun Apr 17 15:59:30 UTC 2005

Wayne Leman asked:

> Does anyone on this list know if the following is an extant English idiom:
>
> "My soul is swallowed up in sorrow."
>
> I have never heard it, but that doesn't, of course, mean that it hasn't
> been
> used by some English speakers.

Wayne,

This is a literal translation of the Greek idiom PERILUPOS ESTIN hH PSUCH
MOU 'deeply grieved is the soul of me' in Mk 14.34 and Mt 26.38 as
translated in the Holman Christian Study Bible. The rendering in NIV is very
similar, i.e. 'my soul is overwhelmed with sorrow'.

Why would you think "My soul is swallowed up in sorrow" is an English idiom?

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM