[Lexicog] an English idiom

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at SIL.ORG
Tue Apr 19 16:18:16 UTC 2005

Even more interesting: I suppose that 1884 translator might have chosen his
wording because he was familiar with the English expression already...

Kim Blewett

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
fieldworks_support at sil.org
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:37 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] an English idiom

Clarification: The quote from Francis de Sales is an 1884 English
translation of a French work from Calvin's time.
The original French says "tout le reste demeurant abîmé dans la tristesse
et ennui"

The French dictionary I consulted says abîmer usually means to spoil or
damage, but it mentions an archaic or literary usage to descend or to be
immersed into something, which I think is the usage de Sales is using here.

So the 1884 translator modified [immersed in sadness and annoyance] to
'swallowed up in sorrow'.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM