[Lexicog] an English idiom

Richard Rhodes rrhodes at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Apr 20 23:32:16 UTC 2005

As for someone whose office is directly across
the hall from George Lakoff's, I'll say this is
not just a figure of speech, but a metaphor in
the usual literary (pre-Lakovian) sense.
	Of course, George would have an analysis
for it with 'swallowed up in sorrow' being doubly
metaphoric, mapping large expanses onto faceless
faces having virtual mouths, and then mapping
sorrow onto a large expanse. But even though
something along this line is the right analyses,
it misses the point, as Lakovian analysis
regularly does, that there are metaphors like
this one are very conscious (in contrast to the
MORE is UP kind). And that "loosens" the reins of
metaphor, to speak metaphorically. So it makes
some sense to observe that there is often a kind
of agency associated with metaphorical 'swallow
(up)'

	'the ship was swallowed up by the sea'

but not so much when the expanse is more locational

	'the ship was swallowed up in the sea'

The point is that these are quite close. The
agency can be quite bleached. (160,000 hits
googling 'swallowed up by', 143,000 hits googling
'swallowed up in'), including the interesting
pair at: http://www.rense.com/general43/she.htm.
The title is "Swallowed up by emptiness", but the
line in the text is 'She is swallowed up in
emptiness, ....'

And there are plenty of straight transitives,
like 'the earth opened and swallowed them up',
where the agency on the part of the expanse can't
really be bleached.

The expanse can also be something expanding.

	those formerly suburban areas that have
been swallowed up by urban sprawl

There is also a sense with 'in' (but apparently
not with 'by') in which the identity of the
entity is not lost, like

	'they were swallowed up in the crowd'

which means only that they were lost from view.

While my gut reaction is that in spite of all
this semantic subtlety, Wayne's expression
shouldn't appear in a dictionary. But then I
hesitate and ask myself, where does this kind of
information go in a thorough description of a
language. Should there be an extended entry for
'swallow' that captures all of this? The trick is
that 'sorrow' is not a metaphorical expanse
except when predicated of 'swallow'. This leads
to the question of how to manage such
collocational facts.

I don't know if these ramblings suggest anything
to anyone out there. But the question of what
makes for a true idiom as opposed to what makes a
metaphor worth entering in the lexicon is worth
discussing.

Rich Rhodes

  Richard A. Rhodes
  Department of Linguistics