[Lexicog] Synonymy

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Tue Apr 26 08:56:01 UTC 2005

> So I find certain factors occurring over and over in various domains to
> distinguish very different kinds of words. These factors also show up in
> unrelated languages. On the other hand I also find odd words with odd
> idiosyncratic components. So I don't take a strong view on either extreme.
>
> Ron Moe

Agreed. But I still think you will need to examine each set of synonyms on
its own merits. There will be some domains of contrast that are common
across many synonym sets in many languages, but there will also be some
domains of contrast that are limited to a single pair of synonyms in a
single language.

For example, the following distinguishing descriptions of synonyms of 'big'
in English are from the Longman Dictionary of the English Language. There
are some which are distinguished on 'scale', e.g. 'huge' and 'enormous',
some which are distinguished on 'shape', e.g. 'vast' implies two
dimensional/areal, some are based on animal size, e.g. 'mammoth' and
'elephantine', some are based on mythic or literary figures, e.g. 'titanic'
and 'gargantuan', and some have a figurative use, e.g. 'mammoth' and
'gigantic', while others do not. But a word like 'colossal' has associations
with 'Colossus of Rhodes' and 'colosseum' and therefore has connotations of
'awesome'. It was originally applied by Herodotus to the statues of Egyption
temples and it has specialized subsenses applying to architecture and
statues.

Synonyms of 'big':
huge = great size, bulk, capacity
vast = great extent, range
immense = enormous = size or degree far in excess of what is usual
mammoth and elephantine = great size and suggest unwieldy
mammoth is preferred for figurative use, can mean 'excessive' or
'extravagant'
giant and gigantic = suggest abnormally large
gigantic is preferred for figurative use
colossal = awesomely big
titanic = implies the colossal size and primitive strength of the Titans
gargantuan = implies the hugeness of Rabelais' voracious giant: larger than
life, especially with regard to food and appetites

But the point I am trying to make is that while there may be some broad
brush strokes you can make in determining the domains of semantic contrast
within sets of synonyms there will probably be even more idiosyncratic
distinctions, and the lexicographer will have to work out what those
distinctions are for each set of synonyms s/he investigates.

You mentioned these domains: 'singular/plural', 'purpose/use/function',
'shape', 'composition', 'location', 'body part', 'directionality', 'weight',
'scale'. I mentioned expressive, stylistic, specialized use domain, gender,
and figurative use distinctions.

But to get at what are the most common distinguishing domains of semantic
contrast in synonyms you would need to examine many sets of synonyms in many
languages.

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM