[Lexicog] Idioms and Shoebox/Toolbox

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at SIL.ORG
Wed Aug 3 13:44:31 UTC 2005

Susan's second question got me thinking...
I think the "Data Properties" screen, which is a separate tab under "Marker
Properties," is rather new in Shoe/Toolbox (this is the first time I've
noticed "Range Set" in this location as well). So those of us who have been
using the program for years have possibly been ignoring this feature.
The Help file for this screen is informative; how you specify "Data
Properties" for a marker affects jumps & searches. So, yes, Sh/Toolbox
allows anything in the contents of a field, but it may be useful to set the
"Data Properties" for certain fields.
Thanks again to the Sh/Toolbox team for your refinements!
Kim Blewett

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Susan Gehr
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 4:52 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Lexicog] Idioms and Shoebox/Toolbox

How do Shoebox/Toolbox users enter idioms in their
databases?

Here's an idiom from Karuk:

imáan múmaankam
 'day after tomorrow'
Lit. 'tomorrow's big tomorrow'

Would it be

\lx imáan múmaankam
\ge 'day_after_tomorrow'
\lt tomorrow's big tomorrow

with the \lx field data properties as 'a single item possibly
consisting of multiple words'?

Are there any consequences to changing the  \lx field data
properties to 'a single item possibly consisting of multiple words'
from 'a single word'?