[Lexicog] More of Shoebox/Toolbox and Idioms

Susan Gehr sgehr at KARUK.US
Thu Aug 11 22:24:17 UTC 2005

Thanks for all the help with idioms so far.

I just came across another interesting problem.  We have an
expression xúus + uum 'to treat a patient, to doctor'.

\xv xuus tóo'uum.
\xe She doctored him.

or

xúus u'uum

or

\t xás kunpiip,          "miník
\m xas kun-         piip minik
\g and 3pl.(—3sg.)- say  sure
\p PCL PRON-        V    PCL

\t xuus  tánu'uum."

\e And they said, "You see, we doctored him."

But pronominal and even tense information inserts itself
between the xúus and the uum.  How does one interlinearize
that?  Would this be a situation where I would just want to use
my separate parsing dictionary?

As in

\ref DeA & F 3: Bluejay as Doctor 007
\t kári xás xuus kun'uum.
\m kári xas xúus + uum      kun-         xúus + uum
\g then and treat_(patient) 3pl.(—3sg.)- treat_(patient)
\p PCL  PCL IDIOM           PRON-        IDIOM

\e And then they doctored him.

Is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks!

Susan Gehr