[Lexicog] lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Thu Aug 18 12:22:10 UTC 2005

Wayne Leman wrote:
> I, as I suspect most who do lexical research, have been entering nouns into
> my database with the singular as the usual default entry.

The issue of choosing appropriate citation forms is addressed in

    Bartholomew, Doris A., and Schoenhals., Louise C.
    1983. Bilingual dictionaries for indigenous languages.
    Mexico: Summer Institute of Linguistics.

For being over twenty years old, and largely pre-computer, this is a
very good book...  I believe it is included in the Linguistics Bookshelf
of the LinguaLinks Library.

BTW, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned English pluralia tantum
words, like scissors, pants, etc.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium