[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Aug 21 08:35:55 UTC 2005

An interesting English example came to my attention while I was driving
around town recently. "Sales" can be simply the plural of "sale", as in
"I made two sales (of houses, cars, etc.) today", but I noticed it on
a sign saying "Tucson Tire Sales", where the plural form indicates a
place where something is sold. Also, more abstractly, it can be used
as a field of work, as in "John is in accounting, Jim is in sales." It
would seem difficult to treat these usages as just the simple plural
of "sale", since the semantics don't work compositionally.

	Rudy Troike

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM