[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

fieldworks_support at SIL.ORG fieldworks_support at SIL.ORG
Mon Aug 22 13:46:00 UTC 2005

Another English example I've thought of, is fish/fishes.  The singular form
can also be plural, but a plural form also exists. And it seems to me that
if I were writing an article or book about the different species of fish
found in a certain area, I would entitle it "Fishes of North Carolina (or
North Atlantic, or Lake Erie, or whatever), rather than "Fish of North
Carolina". Because somehow the notion of plurality needs to be reinforced,
because the focus would be on the plurality of kinds, not just the
plurality of individual fish.

But also "fishes" has a more literary/archaic sound as well. It somehow
seems more expected to discuss the miracle of Jesus multiplying food by
calling it "The miracle of the loaves and fishes" rather than
"The miracle of bread and fish".

Steve White, Jaars language software support
704-843-6337, 1-800-215-7813

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM