[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at SIL.ORG
Tue Aug 23 13:32:05 UTC 2005

About catfish, y'all:

As a recent transplant to North Carolina, we can testify that *everyone*
eats catfish around here! It's not bad, actually...

Kim Blewett

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Maxwell
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:49 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

billposer at alum.mit.edu wrote:
> To me "fishes" is the plural of "kind of fish" whereas
> "fish" is the plural of individual fish.

Jim Hoard once told me that the animals whose names (can) have null plurals
are all game animals.  Thus: deer, elk, trout, bass, bear, bison etc.
Whereas non-game animals have overt (and obligatory) plurals: dog, cat,
elephant (well, most people don't shoot them...), cow, sucker (a kind of
"trash" fish), shark.  ('Catfish' seems to be an exception, but whether
that's because its head noun is 'fish', or because for some people, they
are game animals, I don't know.)

Certainly it's a fuzzy boundary, but I think Jim is basically right.  And
while one can dream about doing a dissertation on this sort of stuff, I
suspect someone has already done it...
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium