[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Aug 23 14:07:13 UTC 2005

  Not quite, Bill,

  sg. Mann (man)               pl. Manner (men)
  sg. Mensch (person)      pl. Menschen (people)
  As we have the beautiful gender-neutral word "Mensch",
  we don't have that problem/issue of inclusive language in German which
  for most non-anglophones is a non-issue, "much ado about nothing."
  A  man is a "Mann" and a woman is a "Frau" in German. So noone has a
  problem with the fact that "wo-man" is derived from "man" (wif-man) which
has
  given rise  to strange coinings like "womyn" (sg.) and "wimmin" (pl.)
  in order to avoid the word "man."

  Fritz Goerling

  If I'm not mistaken, another "split" example in German is:

  mann "man"      maennen "men"
  mann "person"      leute      "people"

  --
  Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
  http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer at alum.mit.edu

        Profile  Intellectual property rights

    c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.