[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Aug 23 19:03:43 UTC 2005

Hi Bill,

"man" (written lower case in German) is, in fact, the indefinite usage,
comparable to "one/person"
in English. "Mann", written with a capital letter, like any other German
noun, means "man" (male).
German indefinite "man" could be replaced by plural "Leute" in certain
contexts. It is often used
in a moralizing context "man tut das nicht ..."  (one does not do that ...).
Feminists have tried
to replace this indefinite "man" (which sounds like "Mann")  by "frau"
(woman). Just doesn't
work in German. It only makes one/people laugh.

Fritz

  Granting the availability of mensch as a gender-neutral term,
  am I wrong in thinking that, in the indefinite usage, mann and
  leute are a singular/plural pair? I'm thing of usages like:

        Was mann sagt ...  "What a person/one says..."
        Was leute sagen .. "What people say..."

  --
  Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
  http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer at alum.mit.edu

    c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.