[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Aug 23 19:06:25 UTC 2005

  David,

  "Man" in the saying "Man isst was man isst" is only written in capitals
because it
  begins the sentence. Otherwise all nouns are capitalized in German.
However, the "Man"
  in the saying "Man isst was man isst" has nothing to do with "Mann" (=
man; the male)
  It corresponds to the impersonal "on" in  French and "one" in English. So
the translation
  of the German saying into English is "One eats what one eats" or in
gender-noninclusive
  language "Man eats what he eats."
  Fritz

  Fritz --

  I don't know German, but I remember a German saying, something like "Man
ist
  was man isst." (Please forgive and correct spelling mistakes.) Is this
"man"
  unrelated to what you were talking about?

  -- David Frank