[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Robert Hedinger robert_hedinger at SIL.ORG
Tue Aug 23 21:41:54 UTC 2005

So the German should be "Man ist was man isst." (note the different verbs)

Robert
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fritz Goerling
  To: 'Fritz Goerling' ; lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:17 PM
  Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

  Sorry, I meant "One is what one eats"and "Man is what he eats."

  FG

      David,

      "Man" in the saying "Man isst was man isst" is only written in capitals because it
      begins the sentence. Otherwise all nouns are capitalized in German. However, the "Man"
      in the saying "Man isst was man isst" has nothing to do with "Mann" (= man; the male)
      It corresponds to the impersonal "on" in  French and "one" in English. So the translation
      of the German saying into English is "One eats what one eats" or in gender-noninclusive
      language "Man eats what he eats."
      Fritz

      Fritz --

      I don't know German, but I remember a German saying, something like "Man ist
      was man isst." (Please forgive and correct spelling mistakes.) Is this "man"
      unrelated to what you were talking about?

      -- David Frank