[Lexicog] social change in lexicon

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Aug 24 23:50:17 UTC 2005

Bill,

The closest I can come to the wordplay in German is by the following
translation:

It's a go, but I don't go.

What do you think?

Fritz

  Well, while we're on plays on words I have a little
  German story that may not be known outside the mountaineering
  world. A great Swiss climber of the latter 19th century
  was Melchior Anderegg, who was known for being unusually
  cautious for a climber of his calibre. One time he and
  several other climbers were looking at a face from a distance,
  discussing the feasibility of a suggested route. One of
  the others said that he thought that the route was feasible.
  Anderegg reportedly responded:

        Ja, es geht, aber ich gehe nicht!

  Bill
  --
  Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
  http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer at alum.mit.edu

    c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.