[Lexicog] Of Catfish (fwd)

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Aug 25 07:31:28 UTC 2005

A colleague of mine from Alabama, had this response when I forwarded
to him some of the discussion on the classification of catfish as
edible or nonedible.

	Rudy Troike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:04:22 -0700
From: Robert Houston <houston at email.arizona.edu>
Subject: Of Catfish

Dear Rudy,

There are actually uncivilized people who can think that catfish
aren't good eatin'?  My, my.  If you're ever in the vicinity of
Gadsden, Alabama, I recommend Top of the River restaurant, where they
come with a big pot of turnip greens, fried pickles, and cornbread.

When I was a child, the salt-water cat that white fishermen would
catch along the gulf would be given to black fishermen nearby, who
would eagerly accept them.  I remember puzzled discussions among
white folks as to why black folks would eat salt-water cat, while
white people didn't.  The lore, as you might imagine, was highly
unscientific, and produced no solution to the conundrum.  To this
day, I wonder what salt-water cat tastes like.

A few years ago, I caught catfish on the Amazon, where they come in
very different colors and have no sharp, dangerous fins.  The locals
love them.

Best,
Bob

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM