[Lexicog] Turkey

Patrick Hanks hanks at BBAW.DE
Thu Aug 25 16:27:52 UTC 2005

A quick look at  OED will confirm that Nick Miller's account of the origins
of the
English word "turkey" is, in essentials, correct.

The bird we now know as the guinea fowl was regularly imported to England
(and elsewhere in Europe) from Turkey during the 16th century. It was
regarded
as a fine delicacy at that time (along with goose, swan and crane) and it
was
known as "Turkey cock".  The earliest citation for "Turkey cock" in OED is
from 1541.  (The female was known as the "Turkey hen". Compare
"peacock"/"peahen.")

When explorers and settlers encountered the American bird, this word was
used, even though the American turkey is only very distantly related to the
guinea fowl.

In 1616, the explorer Captain Smith wrote a Description of New England
in which, commenting on the bird life there, he mentions "Teale, mews, guls,
turkies, and dive-doppers."  (I don't know what dive-doppers are.)

In 1634 the settler William Wood wrote, in "New England's Prospect":

     The Turkey is a very large bird, of a blacke colour, yet white in
flesh.

These early explorers and settlers were doing what they regularly did,
namely taking an existing English word and using it to denote some newly
discovered bit of fauna or flora in the New World, without worrying too
much about the finer scientific details.  Bear in mind that this all
happened
over 100 years before Linnaeus established a scientific nomenclature for
plants and animals.

This, incidentally, is why the American "robin" is completely unrelated to
the European "robin". Many other examples could be given.

Patrick