[Lexicog] Re: arguably

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Thu Aug 25 20:47:26 UTC 2005

Wayne, I understand that to mean "One could reasonably argue that...
(Chomsky is the greatest linguist who has ever lived)." But the use of the
term "arguably" acknowledges that there is some reason for debate. To use
"unarguably" (or is it "inarguably"?) would mean that everyone is in
agreement and there is no room for debate or different opinions.

-- David Frank

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Leman" <wayne_leman at sil.org>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 4:35 PM
Subject: [Lexicog] arguably

Could someone on the list help me understand the word "arguably"? I hear it
used a lot. I think I understand what it means. I've read its dictionary
meanings. I didn't grow up hearing or using it. Is there some "hook" to
remember what it means. My brain has gotten it backwards, I think, where it
seems to me that "unarguably" would make more sense instead of saying
"arguably." If we have to argue over something it's not clear to everyone.

"Chomsky is arguably the greatest linguist who has every lived."

Well, of course, we can quibble over the claim of that sentence, but how can
I get it into my head what "arguably" means there?

Thanks,
Wayne Leman

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM