[Lexicog] arguably

Pomázi Gyöngyi pomazi.gy at HUNGARNET.HU
Thu Aug 25 20:50:56 UTC 2005

Arguable has two meanings, 1. something is true, many people would agree with it, 2. something is not obviously true or correct (Collins).
You can use arguably when you are stating your opinion or belief, as a way of giving more authorithy to it.

But funny, you are right.

Gwen
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wayne Leman
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:35 PM
  Subject: [Lexicog] arguably

  Could someone on the list help me understand the word "arguably"? I hear it
  used a lot. I think I understand what it means. I've read its dictionary
  meanings. I didn't grow up hearing or using it. Is there some "hook" to
  remember what it means. My brain has gotten it backwards, I think, where it
  seems to me that "unarguably" would make more sense instead of saying
  "arguably." If we have to argue over something it's not clear to everyone.

  "Chomsky is arguably the greatest linguist who has every lived."

  Well, of course, we can quibble over the claim of that sentence, but how can
  I get it into my head what "arguably" means there?

  Thanks,
  Wayne Leman

        Profile  Intellectual property rights