[Lexicog] arguably

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Thu Aug 25 23:11:30 UTC 2005

Thanks, everybody, for responding so quickly to my question about
"arguably." From the way that I have heard the word used on the national
news and elsewhere I had gotten the idea people were using it to mean:

"There is no doubt about what I am saying. There is no sense in arguing
about it. It is clearly established."

The difficulty I had with what I thought I was picking up from usage was
that that usage, if true, did not align with the word's etymology or
derivational meaning. Of course, I think we all know the danger of counting
on etymology or derivation for synchronic meaning.

I confess to still having some confusion about the word. I'd like to try to
get some definitions of "arguably" from those people who use it often. That
would arguably be a good way to try to nail down how people are actually
using the word now.

Wayne

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM