[Lexicog] Turkey

billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 26 01:51:07 UTC 2005

Patrick Hanks wrote:
>These early explorers and settlers were doing what they regularly did,
>namely taking  an existing  English word and  using it to  denote some
>newly  discovered bit  of fauna  or flora  in the  New  World, without
>worrying too  much about the  finer scientific details.  Bear  in mind
>that this all happened over 100 years before Linnaeus  established a
>scientific nomenclature for plants and animals.

The Linnean terminology didn't necessarily help. In reading the work
of Father Adrien-Gabriel Morice, the Oblate missionary from whom
almost all early documentation of Carrier comes (among other things,
he was the first person to write an Athabaskan language accurately
- he recognized the ejectives and lateral affricates and phonemic
glottal stop from the outset) I came upon a number of cases in which
he gave scientific names (which he usually did) that did not correspond
to those now in use. In some cases this turned out to be due to changes
in the scientific nomenclature, but in others it appears that he
equated a species from British Columbia with a similar European
species and gave the scientific name for the European species!

Oh, that reminds me that this would be a good place to ask, is anyone
acquainted with a journal called "Missiology" (or possibly Missiologie - it might
be in French or German)? I have heard mention of it but can't find it
in the libraries to which I have immediate access.

Bill

--
Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer at alum.mit.edu

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM