[Lexicog] arguably

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Fri Aug 26 02:20:42 UTC 2005

It means the modified proposition is debatable, but one could make a
good case for it, i.e. argue for it. The "arguable" part thus combines
two aspects of the meaning of "argue". The claim that Chomsky is the
greatest linguist is as eminently arguable (= debatable) as the claim
that Microsoft is the world's greatest software company, but it is also
arguable in that a good case can be made for it.

So, it does mean that it is not necessarily clear to everyone, or as you
put it in your last comment, "arguably" refers to the fact that "we can
quibble over the claim". But it implies that the quibbles will be mostly
that, quibbles rather than refutations.

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM