[Lexicog] Turkey

Nick Miller nick.miller at CZECH-TRANSLATION.COM
Fri Aug 26 08:24:00 UTC 2005

Thanks for the big response on turkey. Lots of "talking turkey" going on
there (another phrase to ponder). For my part I can just state that the word
for "turkey" in Czech is "kruta" (hen) and "krocan" (cock), the former
derived from German vernacular "Grutte", the latter being onomatopoeically
based on the former.
In Slovak it's "morka" (hen) and "moriak" (cock). "morka" is supposed to be
based on its call "mor-mor", the latter again probably a 'male version' of
the former. I can't say I know its call, only the gobbling sound, hence the
English expression "gobbler".

Nick Miller

---
avast! Antivirus: Odchozi zprava cista.
Virova databaze (VPS): 0534-3, 25.08.2005
Testovano: 26.8.2005 10:24:00
avast! (c) copyright 2000-2004 ALWIL Software.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM