[Lexicog] arguably

Caner Onoglu caneronoglu at ALTACA.COM
Fri Aug 26 06:42:48 UTC 2005

Hi Wayne,

I am not a linguist nor good at English but here are my 2 cents about
the use of "arguably"

As Karl Popper pointed, for a theory to be scientific it must be
falsifable. This is the main rule for a scientific theory.

May be in this sense the sentence "Chomksy is arguably the greatest
linguist who has ever lived" strenghtens the claim by stressing that it
is not a dogmatic claim but a claim whose value can be scientifically/by
arguing can also be verified. I would say if we argue over something and
reach a conclusion it is firmer and stronger than some concencus we
reached without arguing.

As a different example we would not say "Pope is arguably the holyest
person living in the world" because being holly or not is not something
arguable.

Best,
Caner

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Wayne Leman
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 12:35 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Lexicog] arguably

Could someone on the list help me understand the word "arguably"? I hear
it
used a lot. I think I understand what it means. I've read its dictionary

meanings. I didn't grow up hearing or using it. Is there some "hook" to
remember what it means. My brain has gotten it backwards, I think, where
it
seems to me that "unarguably" would make more sense instead of saying
"arguably." If we have to argue over something it's not clear to
everyone.

"Chomsky is arguably the greatest linguist who has every lived."

Well, of course, we can quibble over the claim of that sentence, but how
can
I get it into my head what "arguably" means there?

Thanks,
Wayne Leman

Lexicography
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Lexicography&w1=Lexicography&w2=Sci
ence&w3=Cognitive&w4=Profile&w5=Intellectual+property+rights&c=5&s=93&.s
ig=pNGYhmp8tlrrdfCXjUs0dA>  	Science
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science&w1=Lexicography&w2=Science&
w3=Cognitive&w4=Profile&w5=Intellectual+property+rights&c=5&s=93&.sig=Dv
iHege6MrL_LfaedTQN_Q>  	Cognitive
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cognitive&w1=Lexicography&w2=Scienc
e&w3=Cognitive&w4=Profile&w5=Intellectual+property+rights&c=5&s=93&.sig=
bF5aP39k3rA9o2lq4pDBcQ>
Profile
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Profile&w1=Lexicography&w2=Science&
w3=Cognitive&w4=Profile&w5=Intellectual+property+rights&c=5&s=93&.sig=y2
Ly4cWhRi0VgNeglkjz-g>  	Intellectual
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Intellectual+property+rights&w1=Lex
icography&w2=Science&w3=Cognitive&w4=Profile&w5=Intellectual+property+ri
ghts&c=5&s=93&.sig=mM9sWCAQzXiWga7l36Rcsw> property rights

  _____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

*	 Visit your group "lexicographylist
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lexicographylist> " on the web.

*	 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

*	 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

  _____