[Lexicog] Puns and homonyms

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Aug 26 15:32:44 UTC 2005

Dobri den, Nick,

Puns and jokes are often built on homonyms. I have wondered why the English
pun so much,
while the Germans do less. Could it be that there are so many homonyms in
English, while
there are far less in German. Maybe it's the same with Czech.

Fritz

  >>Or "cold turkey" or "you turkey!" Poor animal to be used in such a way!

    Fritz,

    Did you know that the Czech adjective for 'cruel' is 'kruty' while the
Czech adjective for '(of) turkey' is 'kruti'? They sound almost identical,
but have nothing in common linguistically. However, Czech people are never
impressed with my attempts at puns with these kind of word 'pairs'. They
don't do puns. I suppose you have them in German?

    Nick

    avast! Antivirus: Odchozi zprava cista.

    Virova databaze (VPS): 0534-4, 26.08.2005
    Testovano: 26.8.2005 17:17:10

    c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.