[Lexicog] Turkey = French Chicken

sch99 at MYUW.NET sch99 at MYUW.NET
Fri Aug 26 18:26:07 UTC 2005

In Cambodia the French get the credit.  The Khmer word for Turkey is 'mon
barang' which translates directly as 'French Chicken'.  A reasonable guess is
that French colonialists introduced the turkey to Cambodia, although I do not
know for a fact that this is correct.  One could imagine that if turkeys did
not exist or if they had not been introduced to Cambodia that 'mon barang'
could refer to a variety of chicken introduced by the French.  Such a use,
although expected, seems blocked now and 'mon barang' must refer to turkeys.

In Khmer, 'barang' combines with various words create new names for unrelated
items.  For example 'French bamboo shoot' is aspargus.  This is in addition to
its use to specify certain varieties of things, e.g. French onion, French
potato, etc.

Stephen

Epilepsy Fact #5
In over 50% of people with epilepsy, the cause is still unknown.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM