[Lexicog] Turkey

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Aug 30 09:34:14 UTC 2005

Well, Bill,

Who does not have a sense of humor? Sometimes we do not have a sense
of humor in an area where we are sensitive. Or we prefer a certain kind of
humor, like wry humor, or humor that evokes a hearty belly-laugh, or puns.
So saying "x does not have a sense of humor" might mean "they do not
have MY kind of humor" or "they do not laugh at my jokes."

Here is a pun:
What is a full turkey called? - Stuffed.

Any puns about "turkeys" on this list of word-lovers among whom there are
certainly a lot of punsters?

Fritz

  The origin of the notion that such-and-such a people do not
  joke or do not make puns etc. is probably worth of investigation
  in its own right. I once encountered the statement, in a pamphlet
  distributed to American soldiers by the Occupation authorities,
  that: "The Japanese have no sense of humor."

  --
  Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
  http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer at alum.mit.edu