[Lexicog] Turkey

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at CENTRUM.CZ
Tue Aug 30 13:28:40 UTC 2005

> I think you're overstating the difference in sound here.
> The 'ů' is just a long 'u'

Well, wovel length is pretty significant phonemic value in Czech.

> and the 'ý' and 'í' are practically identical, which is why you
> yourselves can have problems knowing which is which.

There have been debates among the linguists whether 'y' and 'i' are
pronounced identically or not and I am not sure what the latest approach
is (Bohemict linguistics is not my particularly field). But they
certainly are pronounced identically by some people while in many of the
Czech dialects people actually do pronounce them differently and hear
the difference.
But more importantly, 't' is palatized before 'i', while before 'y' it
remains unchanged. So the two words ('krutý' and 'krůtí') are very
different.

Jan F. Ullrich

---
avast! Antivirus: Odchozi zprava cista.
Virova databaze (VPS): 0534-4, 26.08.2005
Testovano: 30.8.2005 11:17:51
avast! (c) copyright 2000-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM