[Lexicog] Issues regarding a free dictionary

arun t deostroll at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 6 19:37:09 UTC 2005

Okay, I am only learning visual basic; but that is the
platform I am thinking of developing it for now. If i
knew how to do it in other free products' I would. But
making the software is not the issue.

Here is how I imagine things:

Once my software goes public, people have the freedom
to make dictionaries and distribute it. Once you allow
that how do you stop people from making "corrupt"
dictionaries? People have their own way of defining
definitions for words. Sometimes their definitions can
convey another (totally different) sense. How can you
stop this? How do you stop multiplicating 'senses'.

Currently, one solution I thought of was, there should
be one world wide agency that maintains its own
database. In case people receive corrrupted
dictionaries from other people, or they corrupt their
own dictionary, they can always get reliable
dictionaries from that place.

Moreover, talking about the software; I plan to
publish how things are coded into the database. So if
you want you can use that database for another
program, say for e.g. a spell checker for your own
word precessor. Also the code and ideas behind thi
software will be accessible to all.

Just wait for my second blog (part 2) where i'll make
things more clear.

This is a small idea compared to the wiki project,
right?

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-FFcwQdY1fqnmzMXxPGKAHiI-?p=28

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM