[Lexicog] Wiktionary (was: Uzbek Wiktionary)

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Thu Dec 8 18:55:30 UTC 2005

On Dec 8 2005, Sabine Cretella wrote:

> I had a closer look at the Uzbek wiktionary and there are already some
> pages, but I don't know if they are correct.

I have no idea whether these particular entries are correct, but I have
observed s.t. odd about the Wiktionary. Namely, someone will post a few
words of a particular language, but (apparently) without a definition.
Those words will automatically (and of course incorrectly) link to
definitions of homographs in _other_ languages.

For example, in the Tagalog index under the letter 'n'
(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Tagalog_index_n), the word 'nota'
appears (it's a loanword from Spanish, see
http://www.tagalog-dictionary.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?s=nota). But the
wiktionary link takes you to what is apparently an Icelandic word +
definition!

The use of two-letter language codes on the Wiktionary's language index
page (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary) also makes it
frustratingly hard to find a particular language. (There is a list on that
page which uses language names, but it only includes "active"
wiktionaries.)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM