[Lexicog] Issues regarding a free dictionary

Tim Gaved tim_gaved at SIL.ORG
Fri Dec 9 11:11:40 UTC 2005

Sabine,

I've just had a quick look at some of your links. Very interesting but a few questions occur to me.

1. There is a lot of existing lexicographical data, particularly for minority languages, in databases using the Standard Format Markers (SFM) of Shoebox, Toolbox and Lexique Pro. Is there any plan to provide an import function to enable transfer of this sort of data to the UW?

2. Does the database model allow for the fact that some concepts might be expressed by different parts of speech in different languages. E.g. there are a lot of languages that use nouns or verbs where English, French, Italian use adjectives?

3. I noticed a data table called gender. Is this extensible to allow for the multiple noun classes that are typical of Niger-Congo languages?

Tim Gaved
SIL Senegal

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM