[Lexicog] Query re phonological variation

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Dec 11 08:07:28 UTC 2005

This is not properly a lexicographical question (though it could have
relevant ramifications), but since people familiar with so many language
families are on the list, I thought I would pose it here. (To avoid
burdening the list with replies, you can reply to me off-list.)

I have been interested to observe that among dialects/languages of the
Yokuts family in California, there is a certain amount of seemingly
random variation between /p/, /t/, /k/, which seemingly does not appear
(to judge from dictionaries) in other language families of the area.
This has a bearing on judgments regarding reconstructibility of terms
to the level of the proto-language, vs possible inter-dialectal borrowing.
I am wondering if any other languages/families represented on this
list show similar alternations in these sounds in evidently cognate
terms. If you have any examples, or any published sources to which you
could point, I would appreciate receiving them.

	Many thanks,

	Rudy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM